CoffeeShop Gray Velvet Photoshop and PSE Action!

I love to look at photography blogs for both photography and editing inspiration, and lately I have been seeing quite a few images with a grayish, low contrast B&W newspaper effect.  At first I wasn't sure I really liked it, but it started to grow on me and I played around in Photoshop until I created my own version.

I have called this effect CoffeeShop Gray Velvet and I have both a free action and a step-by-step Action UnWrapped tutorial (coming next!).  I hope you enjoy using this effect, it gives a nice vintage B&W feel to images.

Mouse over to see the before:

Download the free CoffeeShop Gray Velvet Action! You can also download it here.

Do you want to download my favorite CoffeeShop Actions (includes this action!) or Design Elements in one convenient zipped file AND help support this blog? Just click here for my action pack or here for a download of some of my most popular design elements, storyboards, and textures.

For complete info on installing all of my actions, click here.

vldecker November 27, 2012 at 8:06 PM

Hehehe, That picture cracks me up every time you use it! Thanks for all the work you put into these actions!

April November 27, 2012 at 8:14 PM

Oh my word, I think this might be my most favorite action ever!!!!!!! Thank you!

Robyn November 28, 2012 at 7:07 AM

The CoffeeShop Gray Velvet gives these pictures a great tone.

Beryl November 28, 2012 at 12:40 PM

Oh my you read my mind! I just did a similar tutorial on my blog TODAY! I have been LOVING this edit recently and figured out how to create a similar effect in PicMonkey online. Can't wait to try yours too!

Ruthanne November 28, 2012 at 1:25 PM

oh my gosh!!! I looooove this action!!! Can't wait to use it on something, anything, everything!!

sjbook November 28, 2012 at 8:01 PM

So gorgeous, as always! Not sure if the mouse over thing is a new feature, but I just have to say it's great to be able to see the original so easily!! :)

Anonymous November 29, 2012 at 5:07 AM

Lovely, thank you Rita :-)
AuroraV

Shelle November 29, 2012 at 5:21 PM

i'll have to hold my breath till you give the step by step instructions because i love this action, i use it all the time on my iphone with vsco.cam. i'll take this moment to thankyou so much for the step by step instructions as i work only at the library and cannot download anything so i can still use your beautiful actions. i've also learning a lot doing it the hard way :):)

Inna November 30, 2012 at 1:52 AM

This is the coolest action ever! Love it! Thank you, Rita for sharing your work!!!