CoffeeShop 20x10 Storyboard PS/PSE Action Set 1!

I absolutely love to make and use storyboard/template actions for Photoshop and Photoshop Elements. Not only do they save space on your hard drive by building your template (actions are tiny compared to huge templates .psd files), but they also crop and load your images for you. It doesn't get much better than that!

This action set builds 4 different 20x10 300 dpi storyboard templates. These are great when you want to display a series of photos. You can get them printed at someplace like Mpix. I saw a cute idea somewhere on Flickr (should have faved it!) where someone had their 20x10 photo mounted to make it stiff and then glued/taped a ribbon on each side of the upper back and hung it up that way. It was casual and really cute, and so much cheaper than buying a custom frame. If you get it mounted you can also rest it on your mantle.

I am working on many more free template actions, so if you don't see one here you like, please keep on checking back. And if you don't want to wait or want something special you don't see here, I do custom work for a small fee.

These template actions have been tested in Photoshop 7 and CS4 and Photoshop Elements 6. They hopefully should run in newer versions of PSE. If the template is not acting correctly, then close down Elements and reboot your computer. That usually solves most of the issues for some reason. Even adding other actions can interfere with the old ones at times. But the old classic Reboot is great to know!

I have so many things sitting on my desktop I have to get finished. I am working on more template actions, B&W PS/PSE Actions, lace brushes, floral patterns, template loading actions, and many more things. I have both photography and digital scrapbooking freebies coming, so please keep on checking back! And again, thank you so much for all of your amazing comments, suggestions, patience, and donations. My list is long and I am slow, but I am having a great time with this blog.

UPDATE, added 3/20/09!!!

I recently released the CoffeeShop 20x10 Storyboard Action Set 1 and I received many great suggestions to improve them. Well, I listened to you (I love my readers!) and here is the same set, with some minor changes.

1. These actions DO NOT flatten the storyboard at the end. This way you can move your images around, Ctrl-T (free transform) them to different sizes, and also change the background color simply by selecting the background layer and Edit, Fill (with the color of your choice). You can also use an image or pattern as your background (make sure to drag it on the bottom of your layer pane).

2. You can add borders to your images. If you don't want borders just press OK when the Stroke box comes up (it is set at 1 px and white and will not be noticeable with the white background, but if you are changing the background make the color the new background color). If you want a border around your image just change the pixel and color to taste!

3. Some of you are having issues with these actions in Photoshop Elements. For you I have included two versions of the templates as images. One is a .jpg where the boxes are black. You can drag your images on top and Ctrl-T them to fit. I also included a .psd (Photoshop) file where you can drag your images UNDER the template and then Ctrl-T (free transform) them to fit.

The "No Borders" CoffeeShop Storyboard action set is still completely valid, it just doesn't add borders (which saves time if you don't want them) and flattens the image at the end. It is the faster action.

Download the CoffeeShop 20x10 Storyboard PS/PSE Action and Template Set 1 HERE or HERE! The download is a zipped file which contains an action set for both PS and PSE for the storyboard with and without borders, plus a folder that has the templates. REMEMBER, to use the PSE actions, you MUST have a random image open before starting it. Then click on the action button, the image will close, and the action will run. Some people are having issues with this file asking for a password, so if you are one of them, just rename the zipped file something basic (like storyboard) and then try to extract it. It should work fine then.

NOTE: BTW, in the storyboard names, B means big and L means little. So BBL means Big photo, Little photo, Little photo. If any of these template actions is not working correctly, please comment below. I had a few versions and I might have become confused!

BIG TIP! If you can't see the crop lines because your image is too small, then just press Ctrl-0 (that is a zero, not an "o") and your image will shrink and the gray background will get huge and you will be able to see where you need to drag the crop bars.

Digi Free March 11, 2009 at 10:39 PM

Thank you! Your blog post will be advertised on the DigiFree Digital Scrapbooking Freebie search engine today (look for timestamp: 11 Mar [LA 08:00pm, NY 10:00pm] - 12 Mar [UK 03:00am, OZ 02:00pm] ).

Brittany March 11, 2009 at 10:43 PM

Love this!

Thank you for sharing your talents!

Jessica March 11, 2009 at 10:49 PM

Very cool! thanks for such a great action!!! I can tell I am going to be using these quite a bit.

Thanks!
Jessica
www.MomShots.com

Kristine March 11, 2009 at 11:19 PM

Yay! TY!

Anonymous March 12, 2009 at 1:56 AM

Thanks, this is great. Any plans for a tutorial on how to create storyboard actions or know where I could find one. I can't seem to get it right.

Dana March 12, 2009 at 3:11 AM

Thank you so much !

Anonymous March 12, 2009 at 4:43 AM

You are a star all of your actions and storyboards are fabulous! Thank you, thank you, thank you!!! Zoe Heatherington

Leslie March 12, 2009 at 5:26 AM

Thank you from one of your newest fans. I discovered your blog and your big heart just last week. I am amazed at all that you do and share with everyone. Thank you!

michiganhills March 12, 2009 at 7:17 AM

Thank you - you are so nice to share your work - love it!

belle March 12, 2009 at 7:27 AM

Fabulous! Thank you so much.

cesstrelle March 12, 2009 at 7:36 AM

Great action, thanks so much :) Here's a forum post where they talk about matting the storyboard with ribbon: http://www.pinkinkstudios.net/discussion/showthread.php?t=173

Annie March 12, 2009 at 9:00 AM

Thank you so much!!!!!!!

Carina Olsen (Kat's Photography) March 12, 2009 at 10:32 AM

Cool action. Thanks!

Marisol Avendano Avila March 12, 2009 at 11:07 AM

Thanks again for your generous heart. You are amazing.

Jeri Herman March 12, 2009 at 11:13 AM

Thank you so much! You are so generous to give these away for free -- they are terrific!

Anonymous March 12, 2009 at 11:17 AM

Nope, doesn't work for me with PSE7. It does the same thing as the wallet template..goes thru the motions and leaves a blank page at the end. :(

Mandi March 12, 2009 at 12:15 PM

You are so awsome. I recently found you blog and am having a great time using you actions.

The Edges March 12, 2009 at 12:33 PM

Do you ( or anyone else) know where I can get my storyboards printed after creating them in PS? I created several (thx 2 u) but I cant find anywhere to get them printed!

Rita March 12, 2009 at 12:44 PM

Thanks everyone! And for those of you that are having issues with this working in PSE, what happens when you press Ctrl-Z after the action runs? That brings you back one step and I am curious what the layers look like. Can someone get back with me on that?

I would suggest getting these printed at Mpix, I love their work and their prices are great!

Sylvia March 12, 2009 at 1:11 PM

You are my hero again ♥ ♥

Paula March 12, 2009 at 1:22 PM

I gave you an award on my blog. :) I am supposed to comment on your blog to let you know about it. :) Thank you for ALL you do!

CreativeBusyHands-Scrapbook Freebies Search March 12, 2009 at 4:24 PM

Thank you so much for this Freebie. I want to let you know that I posted a link to your blog in Creative Busy Hands Scrapbook Freebies Search List, under the Photoshop/Gimp Resource(s) (Brush(es), Swatch/Palette, ...) post on Mar. 12, 2009. Thanks again.

Holly March 12, 2009 at 10:45 PM

You are so talented! Thank you for sharing your gift!

ShellB March 13, 2009 at 6:17 AM

Can't wait to try it - thank you so much.

diva27406 March 13, 2009 at 7:38 AM

You are truly talented. I love your blog actions everything. Thank you.

Anonymous March 13, 2009 at 11:24 AM

Using Crtl + Z does not help, Rita. After the action runs through all the steps there is nothing there but a blank page that says After. There are no layers at all. When going back to Full Edit from Guided where your action player is there is only one layer that says background and is a white page.

Leslie A March 13, 2009 at 2:58 PM

Love it ! And the scalloped edge template.....

Anonymous March 15, 2009 at 12:22 AM

Rita,
You're a gem!!!!! thankyou for your kind sharing...

Anonymous March 15, 2009 at 5:36 AM

Thank you, I am a newbie and looking forward to trying this

Jodar March 15, 2009 at 4:13 PM

You are amazing. Thanks you so much for these wonderful actions and templates!

Caragirl March 16, 2009 at 6:46 AM

Thank you so much for sharing all your actions...I have been a big fan for sometime. I am however having some issues with the storyboard action. I have PSE6, it doesn't always show me the picture I opened to crop, then many time times it just shuts down my PS, weird? Any suggestions that I might do? Thank you again!

Toki Lee Kanitz March 21, 2009 at 12:13 AM

Hi Rita! Thank you so much for all of your amazing actions!! I am having trouble unzipping this... it says there is a password. Help?! Anyways, I think you are a genius and I thank you from the bottom of my heart!!

Adrienne M March 27, 2009 at 8:44 AM

Hi Rita.....I LOVEEEEE all your actions/templates and textures! I'm trying to unzip this one and it's asking for a password?? Help!

Adrienne M March 27, 2009 at 8:45 AM

Hi Rita......I LOVE your actions/templates/textures and especially your tutorials!!! When I try to unzip this file, it's asking for a password?? Help!

Jenni March 27, 2009 at 10:33 AM

These actions are so awesome!! But this one in particular when I go to extract it it tells me it's password protected, did I miss something-which I am blonde, so you never know-lol
Thanks so much for all the free stuff, when I get extra funds, I am definitely donating for all of your hard work for all of us:0)

Crazy, Busy, Ordinary Life March 28, 2009 at 4:13 PM

HI...

just donated to the 'cause' but could not find where to download the template/action.

help.

thx

Tonya
tonyavernon@yahoo.com

Sarah March 30, 2009 at 8:48 PM

I downloaded the new ones and nothing happens when I tried to run them and nada. None of them worked for me.

Rita March 30, 2009 at 9:50 PM

OK, first, if you have Photoshop Elements, you have to have a random image open BEFORE running this action, or nothing will happen. The image will close and the action will go.

I supposedly fixed the links, so I hope everything is working now!

Rita

Aimee March 30, 2009 at 10:31 PM

Hello....your actions have changed my photography in so many ways! Thank you so very much for your hard work and talent! One question that others have asked and I don't see an answer. The 20X10 storyboard set asks for a password to unzip the file????

Sarah March 31, 2009 at 6:19 PM

Ok, I did as you said and had a random photo open. I have tried two different storyboards and both have crashed Elements 3/4 thru the action.

Eisaman Photography April 9, 2009 at 2:49 PM

It still asks for a password for the 20X10 ones

Rita April 9, 2009 at 3:19 PM

I just checked the first download link and you can extract the file without a password, so have you tried downloading the newest version? I hope this helps!

This action will crash PSE in some computers if they don't have enough memory or other unknown reasons. Just reboot and retry! And make sure to have a random image open before starting, not a template you created earlier.

drewmark19 April 9, 2009 at 11:09 PM

I can't wait to give this one a try. I found a link to a 20x10 storyboard with the ribbon on flickr at: http://www.flickr.com/photos/ambernorris-photography/2825432669/

How adorable is that?

Thank you, Rita!

Eisaman Photography April 10, 2009 at 1:03 PM

Must be something wrong with my operating system because both links require a password to extract the files. Guess I gotta give up on this one! :(

Tracy Dietrich info@tracydietrich.com April 19, 2009 at 9:14 PM

I flippin luv u!

Stacie April 20, 2009 at 7:26 PM

Hi Rita,

I'm having a hard time with the fill layer...I'm trying to turn the white border to black and when I go to Edit - Fill, it either gives a black touch to the background of the pictures or puts an entire fill layer of black covering the pictures up. Also, I re- DL'ed the action and they still flatten...HELP! Thanks so much, keep on doing what you do - you're just awesome and much appreciated!

Laurie April 23, 2009 at 10:53 PM

Thank you Rita!!! Love these!

michelle May 2, 2009 at 2:49 AM

HELP!!!!!!!!!!
I'm trying to download this awesome storyboard, but I keep getting asked for a password! What do I do????

Eisaman Photography May 8, 2009 at 9:50 PM

So I'm not the only one having this password issue! It's so strange to because I have downloaded all the other templates and this is the only problem child! Hmmmm! Why would it work for some and not for others?

Rita May 9, 2009 at 9:48 AM

OK, I see there are issues with the name of this action, thus it won't let you unzip it in some cases. I have changed the name and uploaded the newest version, so please check it out if you haven't been able to get this storyboard to work! Rita

Anonymous May 17, 2009 at 9:07 AM

would love these but have tried for several weeks to download- but unable to use them as they are still password protected.

Sim June 4, 2009 at 6:17 PM

What great actions, my son and I watched 6 acrobatic planes from our backyard last weekend, I just made him a story board of them so easily, fantastic awesome actions thanks so much

lyssa June 24, 2009 at 4:42 PM

im still ghaving problems with it passwrod protected?

ZombieMom November 4, 2009 at 8:51 PM

all of the storyboard actions are crashing my PSE every single time it gets to the very end of the action. any idea why or how to fix?

Aubree's Mommy November 8, 2009 at 10:41 PM

I also am having trouble getting the background color to change from white to black. Is it possible to do this without having the black leak into portions of the photo? Any tips would be appreciated!

Anonymous November 19, 2009 at 10:27 PM

I too am having issues with PSE crashing at the end of the action. I am using PSE 8, maybe that's why?
Bummed :(

Staci May 6, 2010 at 11:47 AM

Thank You So Much. Your site rocks! Staci

Brooke September 18, 2010 at 7:53 PM

I cant get this one to work it says its password protected