Today I am so excited to post my newest Photoshop/PSE Editing Kit and tutorial called CoffeeShop "Rainbow Dream". This kit includes the "Rainbow Dream" action, a Rainbow texture, and a Sunflare brush. It has everything you need to add a gorgeous dreamy light-filled rainbow effect to your portraits. This is one of my favorite editing techniques this year and I hope you love it as much as me!
I have full instructions posted below. This edit is not difficult, but you do need to have a working knowledge of Photoshop or PSE and know how to adjust layers and paint on layer masks. If you are new to layer masks, please read this tutorial. I used this tutorial to make the rainbow texture and this tutorial to make the sun flare brush.
I also wanted to remind my readers who purchased the CoffeeShop Action pack, Mega download pack, or Digital Design Pack within the last two years that they can request my newest version for free just by emailing me (my email can be found on the order page). I update the packs regularly with new stuff (including the Rainbow Dreams Kit), so if it has been a while you might be interested in the newest version. :-) I really appreciate your support!!!
Rainbow Dream is completely adjustable and can be used on most outdoor/natural light portraits. I found this adorable little girl photo on Pixabay.
CoffeeShop "Rainbow Dream" Photoshop/PSE Action Tutorial:
Open your image. I found this adorable image on Pixabay.
1. Skin Smoothing: Start the action. This one has a few prompts as it is a bit more complex then some of my other actions. Read them and press "continue". The first prompt will allow you to soften the skin. Adjust the Radius and Threshold to taste for your image. You will be able to paint this effect back in where needed after the action finishes.
This is what my image looks like after the action finishes running. As you can tell I need to work on the layers.
2. Paint off Haze: I click on the top "Haze" layer mask and grab my black, soft brush at 100% and paint over the little girl and bear to add contrast.
If you are a PSE user make sure you have grabbed the normal brush (icon on far left) and the Mode is set to Normal.
3. Add Rainbow: Open the CoffeeShop Rainbow texture included in the download and hold V and click on the rainbow and drag and drop it above the "Add Rainbow Texture" layer. Ctrl-T (Free Transform) it to fit your image.
Soften Rainbow: I like to soften the rainbow effect, so with your Rainbow layer selected, go to Filter, Gaussian Blur, and add some blur (I changed the Radius to 53.2 in this edit).
Put the Rainbow layer in Soft Light blending mode. For a softer effect lower the opacity, for a stronger effect copy the Rainbow layer (Ctrl-J).
4. Add Sunflare: This step is optional. The Sunflare brush is included in the download so make sure to load it to your Photoshop or PSE program.
Click to select the "Add Sunburst" layer and then select the brush and click on the part of the image you wish to add some light. Then Free Transform (Ctrl-T) the sunflare to position it and Gaussian blur it if needed. Keep this layer in Normal blending mode. You can adjust the color by clicking on the "Sunburst Color" layer.
5. Soften Skin: Click on the black layer mask on the "Skin Soften" layer and paint over the skin with a soft white 100% opacity brush. Then adjust the layer's opacity to taste. If you don't want to soften the skin do nothing on this layer.
The "Peachy Skin" layer adds a peachy glow to your portrait's skin. For lighter skin keep the setting in Soft Light blending mode and adjust the opacity to taste. For darker skin put this layer in Multiply blending mode and adjust the opacity.
6. Adjust Lighten Layer: Click on the Lighten layer and adjust the opacity to taste. I used 50% in this image and then removed some of the lightness from the teddy bear by painting on the layer mask with a soft low-opacity black brush.
7. Matte Effect: Click on the Matte Levels adjustment layer and adjust the black slider under the curve (shadows) and black slider on the bottom (Output Levels) to fine-tune the contrast for the Matte Effect. Paint over the layer mask if needed or adjust the opacity of that layer. This is a grew way to add or remove contrast from your image.
You can see my before and afters below for two different images.
I would love to see your before and after images over on my Facebook page!!!
Download the CoffeeShop "Rainbow Dream" Photoshop/PSE Editing Kit! You can also download it here.
Do you want to download my favorite CoffeeShop PSE/Photoshop Actions and Lightroom Presets or Design Elements in one convenient zipped file AND help support this blog? Just click here for my action pack or here for a download of some of my most popular design elements, storyboards, and textures.
For complete info on installing all of my actions, click here.