Sunday, December 23, 2012
I am going to take the next few days off from blogging to spend time with my family for Christmas. I hope everyone has a wonderful holiday with their loved ones!
Today I wanted to show you how to make your own custom glitter text. You can also use this tutorial to add any type of texture/digital paper to text. And you aren't limited to using only digital papers, you can also add patterns.
1. Download the CoffeeShop Glitter Papers to follow along with this tutorial. Make a new document with a white background. I made this one around 1200 px wide. Then pick your favorite bold text (I used Cry Kitty in this tutorial) and type your text.
2. Open the gold glitter paper you just downloaded.
3. Click on V, and drag the gold glitter paper over the text layer. (You can also add the glitter Photoshop pattern, but that is another tutorial.) Ctrl-T to resize the texture to fit over your text.
4. Now you will need to make the text into a clipping mask. Click to select the gold glitter layer and then right click and select Create Clipping Mask. You can also alt (option)-dangle the mouse between the layers and then click to create the clipping mask.
5. Now you have lovely glitter text!
6. Next I will add a drop shadow effect. Make sure the text layer is selected and go to Layer, Layer Style, Drop Shadow. Or double-click on the text layer to get the style pane and select Drop Shadow to the left.
7. Adjust the setting I have circled to taste.
8. Now you can save your text as a png file with a transparent background. Turn off the bottom layer with the white background and click on the little drop-down menubar on the Layers pane and select Merge Visible. Merge Visible keeps the background transparent. Do not flatten the image unless you want to add the text to a white background! Save the text as a png file or drag and drop it on your design.
9. Here is a sample where I added the glitter text. This text would be lovely on headers, facebook headers, blog post headings, etc. Have fun!
Do you want to download my favorite CoffeeShop Actions or Design Elements in one convenient zipped file AND help support this blog? Just click here for my action pack or here for a download of some of my most popular design elements, storyboards, and textures.