Tuesday, February 23, 2010
You might have noticed that I am trying to organize this blog more.I now have updated my Action Install page (button link on top) and I am also putting together a FAQs page (button link on top). I will be adding as things come up. I am trying to make this blog easier to navigate and also be able to answer more of your questions. :-)
We were chatting over on my Flickr CoffeeShop group about using dodge and burn (lighten and darken) on images in Photoshop and Photoshop Elements. The dodge and burn tools are pretty effective on the newest versions of each program, but some of us prefer doing it "old school".
BTW, I used my free CoffeeShop Color Block It action on the after sample above. A few people over at my Flickr CoffeeShop group suggested trying to make a version that adds a texture to the color block area. Look at this beautiful image from Kelly. I love this effect and I will see if I can make a second version that lets you easily add texture. I love new ideas and my readers are the best!
I never dodge or burn directly on my image. I always make a duplicate of the background or use the little tip I am sharing today.
Old School Dodge/Burn:
This tutorial works in both Photoshop and Photoshop Elements. And if you want to save some time, you can download my little free action below. ;-)
1. Make two blank new layers over your background.
2 Edit/Fill both with 50% gray.
3. Put them in softlight or overlay blending mode.
4. Name one layer dodge and paint over your image with a soft white low opacity brush on areas you want to lighten. This is a wonderful way to lighten and remove minor color casts from skin.
5. Name one layer burn and paint over your image with a soft black low opacity brush on areas you want to darken. This is a great way to get a custom vignette or make your colors "pop".
6. If you make a mistake, just refill the layer with 50% gray and start over.
7. Flatten your image.
Since I am a nerd, I made an action that works in Photoshop and Photoshop Elements if you want add the dodge and burn layers quickly. You don't have to use this action on a flat image. If you have been editing and have layers, just start the action. :-)
You can download the action HERE. And you can download the PSE5 .png thumbnail HERE and the PSE6-PSE8 .png thumbnail HERE! PSE USERS, you need the .atn and a thumbnail file!
Want all of my favorite CoffeeShop Actions or Design Elements in one simple download AND help support this blog? Just click here for my action pack or here for a download of some of my most popular design elements, storyboards, and textures. For complete info on installing all of my actions, click here.