>> Wednesday, October 17, 2012
If you ever wanted an excuse to upgrade to the newest PSE, now is the time. You might want to consider the upgrade even if you have PSE10 and hate loading actions. There are many reasons you would benefit from the newest version (PSE11 is the closest to Photoshop I have ever seen), but today I wanted to tell you that Adobe Photoshop Elements 11 makes action loading just as easy as Photoshop! You don't have to worry about thumbnails, deleting mediadatabase files, or finding those pesky folders to load your actions. Yes, it is incredible but true.
Best of all, you can see all of the steps of the action in the action pane or you can undo the action, step-by-step. This is brilliant because you can go back in time and see every step the action is going through as it runs. Or perhaps you want to remove the last effect or see all of the layers in actions that have flatten as the final step. Now you can Undo, just like Photoshop users!
Unfortunately you still can't write actions, but Adobe has to have a reason to encourage you to upgrade to their more pricey program Photoshop. But now PSE might be all you ever need to edit.
If you are like me, you want to use your new program immediately but you like to also have a hard copy. Here is my little trick. Go order Adobe Photoshop Elements 11 at your favorite website (I love Amazon) and select regular shipping. Then go to the Adobe site and download the PSE11 30-day trial. This way you can start using PSE11 that day, but you will also have a hard copy of the program (not just a download). If you have a computer crash or buy a new computer, you can install from your original disk. Once you get your program in the mail, just enter the serial number on your free trial of PSE11 and you are good to go.
1. When you open PSE11 you will probably be in the Quick Mode. Click Expert on top.
2. Make sure Expert is selected (step 1). Open your action pane by going to Window (step 2), Actions (step 3).
3. Open your layers pane by going to Window, Layers.
4. When you open Actions, you should see a box like the one seen above. Click on the Actions tab, then on the little box to the right of Actions (step 1) and then Load Actions (step 2).
5. Hopefully you will know where you downloaded your actions (I download to my desktop). Then click on the .atn file, not the thumbnail. Click Open.
6. You will see your action in the action pane (CoffeeShop Boost It in this case).
7. To run the action, you might have to open the little yellow folder by the name by clicking on the little gray triangle to the left of it, then click to select the action by the little blue triangle (step 1). Then click on the play button (step 2) and you will see your action play on your layer pane (step 3).
8. Now for the cool part! If you want to take apart the action or perhaps go back in history to the middle of the action, go to Edit, Undo (in this case Undo Rename Layer). You can go back quite far and you can also go forward. This is something you can do in Photoshop but were never able to do in PSE. This is really nice if you are running an action that flattens your image at the last step. You now can Undo and see all of the layers and make adjustments!
9. Here is another great feature. Now you can see all of the action steps for each action in your action pane!!! This is wonderful if you want to study the steps in the action. Click on the little blue triangle by the action to open it and see the steps. You can even open each step by clicking on the little blue triangle by each one. To hide them again, just click on the little blue triangle by the name (or each step).
Hope this little tutorial helps. Go for it and upgrade to PSE11! ;-)
Do you want to download my favorite CoffeeShop Actions or Design Elements in one convenient zipped file AND help support this blog? Just click here for my action pack or here for a download of some of my most popular design elements, storyboards, and textures.
For complete info on installing all of my actions, click here.