>> Monday, August 17, 2009
I promised I would start desiging blog storyboard/template actions and here is the first, the CoffeeShop Blog Diptych. This action builds a Diptych (2 photo) storyboard, prompts you to load your images, lets you free-transform them to taste on the fly, and then crops the final template to the width you need for your website or blog. It will take you only a few seconds to build this template.
This is a new storyboard action design for me. Rather then have the action crop your images, I have it build clipping masks and you can free transform your images to fit as the action runs. The best part of this method is you can further adjust the image after the image runs. I plan on using this method to design my future storyboard actions.
The zip file contains both a Photoshop and PSE version of the action and full instructions. Feel free to comment on blog template/storyboard versions you would like to see me create! I am coming out with a triptych (3 photo) version next.
CoffeeShop Web Diptych PS/PSE Action
1. Load action. If you have PSE, make sure you have a random image open before starting the action (it won't work otherwise). In PSE, the action will close the random image and start building the storyboard. If you have Photoshop, start the action without any images open.
2. The action will build the storyboard and prompt you to load the left-side image. Then it will prompt you to free-transform the image to fit in the cutout. If you can't see the free-transform bars, click on Ctrl-0 (that is zero) to expand the view so you can easily adjust the image to fit. Hold down the shift key (in Photoshop) or make sure "Constrain Proportions" is checked (in PSE) so your image does not warp.
3. The second image will load on the right side; follow the direction in step 2 to make it fit.
4. Finally, the action will prompt you to enter the final desired image width in pixels. Enter the width only, the height will automatically adjust. For example, I crop my storyboards 600px wide so they fit the middle column of the CoffeeShop blog.
5. After the action is finished you can move the images around to make final adjustments. Then flatten and upload to your favorite website/blog!
Download the free CoffeeShop Blog Diptych PS/PSE Action HERE or HERE!